If you were on holiday in Benidorm in the summer, what activities might you take part in? Sunbathing? Skiing? Look at the climate graphs for ideas! How would the activities for a family holidaying in Benidorm be different to those for a family holidaying in Scarborough?
Monday, 11 February 2008
How do weather and climate affect peoples' lives? Holidays in the Mediterranean
This lesson considered:
- how the Meditteranean climate differs from the UK climate
- why British tourists are attracted to the Med
- how the climate affects different holiday types
The vast majority of overseas holidays taken by UK residents are in EU Europe. The graph shows the percentage of outbound visitors to visit the top 10 destinations in 2003.
UK residents made a record 41.2 million holiday trips in 2003. This was 3 per cent more than in 2002 and was a continuation of the rise in overseas holidays over the last three decades from 6.7 million in 1971. About half (47 per cent) of the holiday trips abroad in 2003 were package holidays. Large numbers of families travel south during the school holidays, visiting the islands and mainland resorts of the Mediterranean. We considered the reasons for this...
1. Cost - flights to Mediterranean resorts are cheap.
2. Language - many British children are taught European languages at school; the vast majority of Europeans speak enough English to be able to comunicate with tourists.
3. Flight times - flights times are short, for example just 3 hours to Rome.
4. Low cost airlines - many new low-cost airlines have been established, and they are in competition with each other so bargain flights are available!
5. Internet bookings - widespread use of the internet has made it easier (and cheaper) to book holidays.
6. Weather and climate - many travel agents market the Mediterranean resorts as being in guaranteed sunshine. Is this the reality?
These graphs show the average temperatures in the UK and Spain's Costa Blanca, and the average number of hours of sunshine. To what extent do you think UK travel agents are justified in using the slogan 'Come to Benidorm for your winter break!'. How does the Mediterranean climate differ from the UK climate?